Item: A Documentary History of the Philadelphia Volunteer Fire Department Collected and Arranged by John C. Foulkrod, 1853-1915

If you would like to purchase this image, please contact RNR@hsp.org

Bookmark and Share
Record Number: 1924
Call number: Am .3989 folio
Collection: John C. Foulkrod collection [Am .3989]
Volume: 1
Reproduction restrictions: Unknown
Address: Philadelphia, PA
Date of Original: 1853 - 1915
Original Format: Photographs
Image description: This digital record contains five images that depict selected sample pages from this described volume. Image 1 depicts the exterior cover, 2 the title page, 3 photographs of the Excelsior Hose Co. no. 37 of Frankford, 4 the Weccacoe Fire Co. building, and 5 two engines from the Western Hose Co. no. 26 positioned in front of a large U.S. flag.

John C. Foulkrod was a clerk, conveyancer, and volunteer fireman. Papers collected by Foulkrod include: invitations, notices, programs, insignia, rules and bylaws of the volunteer fire companies of Philadelphia, 1853-1873. Also included is material on the election of the chief engineer of the fire department, 1867-1868, and a history of the volunteer department which appeared in the Philadelphia Sunday Dispatch. A few letters and invitations of the Firemen's Active Association of Philadelphia, 1910-1915, together with photographs and clippings relating to the activities of the local volunteers, 1873-1910, complete the collection.