Record Number: 10593
Call number: V7: 4871
Folder Number: 4871
Depicts: John G. (John Goodwin) Herndon, b.1888
Relates to: United Nations
Date of View: April 28 1945,April 12 1945,October 26 1945,November 15 1945,May 15 1945
View Format: Photograph › Gelatin Silver Print
Dimensions: Dimensions of Image, 21.5 by 16.5 cm.
Image description: Various photographs chronicling Philadelphia's bid to be the home of the United Nations Council.
(1) From original image caption: "We Pledge Allegiance: Dressed in the costumes of the lands of their heritage, Philadelphia school children salute the flag of their unity at Independence Hall, at a broadcast presenting Philadelphia's bid to be the home of the United Nations Council. Left to right: Phyllis Thompson, representing Norway; Perla Cisneros, Mexico; Lois Williamson, America; Alexander Derk, Russia; Naomi Young, China; Ann Gibson, Scotland."
(2) and (3) are photographs of members of the delegation advocating Philadelphia's bid to be the home of the United Nations Council posed at Independence Hall.
(4) is photograph of members of the delegation advocating Philadelphia's bid to be the home of the United Nations Council posed at the Liberty Bell.
(5) From original image caption: "Propose Philadelphia as United Nations Site: This Philadelphia delegation calls at the White House, Washington, D.C., October 24, to discuss possibility of making their city the headquarters of the United Nations. Left to Right: Dr. John J. Herndon, Professor of Government of Haverford College, Philadelphia; Sen. Francis J. Myers of Pennsylvania; Dr. Robert Johnson, President of Temple University; Sen. Joseph F. Guffey, of Pennsylvania, and Judge Stauffer Oliver, of the Court of Common Pleas Number 7, Philadelphia."
(6) From original image caption: "Pennsylvanians Leave for London: These Philadelphians relax in the cabin of a Pan American plane at LaGuardia Field, N.Y., November 13, prior to departure for London, England, to appear before the United Nations Organization Prepatory Commission to advocate the designation of Philadelphia, Pa., as the permanent home for the United Nations Organization. Left to Right: (Seated) L. Stauffer Oliver, Pennsylvania Judge; Robert Johnson, President of Temple University. Left to Right: (Standing) Benjamin Eshleman, Advertising Executive; Dr. John G. Herndon, Professor of Government at Haverford College."
(7) From original image caption: "The City's Hopes Go With Them: Philadelphia's three-man mission to the San Francisco Conference, to 'sell' this city as the permanent headquarters for the United Nations Council, left for the coast yesterday. Shown boarding the 4 P.M. train from Broad st. station for New York, where they took an 11 P.M. plane from LaGuardia Field are (left to right): Dr. John G. Herndon, professor of government at Haverford College; Judge L. Stauffer Oliver and Dr. Robert L. Johnson, chairman of the general citizens' committee working on the project. They will arrive in San Francisco tonight."