Volume/Folder: West Philadelphia Catholic High School for Boys basketball photographs, 1937-1946

If you would like to purchase this image, please contact RNR@hsp.org

Bookmark and Share
Record Number: 1024
Call number: V7: 4529
Folder: 4529
Address: Philadelphia , PA
Date of Original: February 17 1937,February 9 1946
Original Format: Photographs, Clippings
Inscription text: West Catholic vs. Salesianum
Inscription location: Verso
Inscription text: West Catholic High Basketball
Inscription location: Verso
Image description: Photographs of basketball players from the West Philadelphia Catholic High School for Boys, also known as West Catholic. West Philadelphia Catholic High School for Boys was established in 1916 on 49th Street between Chestnut and Market Streets in Philadelphia. The school later closed its doors in the 1980s, as it merged with West Philadelphia Catholic Girls High School to become West Philadelphia Catholic High School.

(1) and (2) are front and back images of a photograph of the West Catholic basketball team playing against the Salesianum team in 1937. The caption in the news clipping reads: "The West Catholic High School basketball team fell before the favored Salesianum quintet yesterday, but the Burrs went down fighting, as this picture shows. The five players scrapping for the ball are, left to right, Usilton, West Catholic; Prettyman and Duncan, Salesianum, and Sharkey and Graham, West Catholic. The Sallies won, 29-20."

(3) and (4) are front and back images of a photograph of West Catholic basketball players against St. Joseph’s basketball team in 1946. The caption reads "HE NEEDS HELP. Bill Henrich (8), West Catholic, looks around for a teammate to pass off this rebound. Going in after him is John Currie (25), St. Joseph’s, and in the background is Frank Brennan (12), of West. St. Joseph’s won this Catholic League game at Convention Hall, 31-29."