Manufactory of William H. Horstmann and Sons print


Permanent ID:
13430
Image Description:
This company was founded in 1815, by William H. Horstmann, a native of  Germany. He had learned the trade of silk-weaving in France, and, emigrating to the United States in the above-mentioned year and established himself in Philadelphia as a manufacturer of fringe, laces and trimmings of various kinds. He married the daughter of Frederick Hoeckly, a German settler in Philadelphia, and also a manufacturer of fringe, coach-lace and tassels. In 1828, he commenced the manufacture of military trimmings as a special department, and this branch has grown to most important proportions, Horstmann's military goods being in demand throughout time country. In 1831, he established a branch house in New York city, and about the same time erected a factory at the corner of Germantown road and Columbia avenue. Manufacturing continued there until the erection of the extensive building at Fifth and Cherry streets, where the works, salesrooms and offices of the firm now are. This massive structure is six stories high, and extends 140 feet on Fifth street and 200 on Cherry street, and reaches back to Race street.

source

This online record contains two images of one item from folder 5.
 
Address:
5th and Cherry Streets, Philadelphia
Format:
Clippings
Collection:
Historical Society of Pennsylvania print collection
Library of Congress Subjects:
William H. Horstmann & Sons [info:lc/authorities/names/n97123610]
Old City (Philadelphia, Pa.) [info:lc/authorities/names/n97042578]
Zion--St. Michael's Lutheran Church (Philadelphia, Pa.) [info:lc/authorities/names/n98113074]